Bela is the shaggy brown mare owned by Tam al'Thor, ridden by Egwene al'Vere on Winternight 998 NE in her escape from the Two Rivers after Trollocs attacked Emond's Field seeking Rand, Mat, and Perrin. Egwene rode the horse to Tar Valon, and Siuan Sanche used her to escape to Salidar.
Egwene also rode a dream version of Bela to Salidar from the Aiel camp in Cairhien through Tel'aran'rhiod. Egwene rode the real Bela out to conduct her nighttime raid on the chains outside Tar Valon during the siege.
Bela was also ridden by Siuan twice: once when Siuan escaped the White Tower, and the second time when when she went into Tar Valon to rescue Egwene. She can be assumed to have returned to the White Tower with the rest of the rebel Aes Sedai.
Bela is taken on Faile's ill-fated mission to fetch the Horn of Valere. After Olver is left with the Horn, he jumps on her to escape the Trolloc camp. She is hit in the flank by a Trolloc arrow and dies.
A frequently made joke is that Bela is none other than the Creator, quietly overseeing the world in this time of great turmoil. The 'evidence' of this is primarily based on how often Bela shows up; she is present right from the start, and is mentioned or seen more often than all but the most primary of characters. In addition, she has lived and stayed in the story longer than almost any other mount, despite being present at the Eye of the World in the Blight, the Ways, Falme, Tar Valon during the breaking of the White Tower, and Salidar during the bubble of evil. Lan's Mandarb and Moiraine's Aldieb left the Two Rivers with Bela and lived through several of the same events. Aldieb is believed to be at the Sun Palace in Cairhien.
- ↑ The Eye of the World, Chapter 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Shadow Rising, Chapter 47
- ↑ The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 26
- ↑ Lord of Chaos, Chapter 34
- ↑ Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 30
- ↑ The Gathering Storm, Chapter 40
- ↑ The Eye of the World, Chapter 48
- ↑ The Great Hunt, Chapter 39
- ↑ The Great Hunt, Chapter 48
- ↑ Compare The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 26 and The Path of Daggers, Chapter 17, which bracket the bubble's appearance in Lord of Chaos, Chapter 14.