—The Prophecies of the Shadow
The Broken Champion is one of the several names used in the Prophecies of the Shadow that may refer to Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn. Why the prophet may have chosen that particular metaphor to characterize the Dragon can only be guessed at, but here are a few possibilities:
- The numerous wounds that Rand has incurred yet have not properly healed.
- The loss of his (left) hand.
- His mental state prior to his epiphany on Dragonmount.
- The presence of Lews Therin Telamon in his mind, usually a sign of great madness according to Semirhage.
- Some misfortune may yet happen that will send him into deep mourning; a kind of brokenness that only time can heal.
- Any combination of the above possibilities.