Healing is the name for the art of healing physical and/or mental injuries through the use of the One Power. It is considered a Talent and it is not related to the strength in the Power. For instance, very strong channelers such as Rand al'Thor, Elayne Trakand and Egwene al'Vere are unable to use these weaves proficiently, but very weak channelers like Asra among the Kinswomen can be very good Healers.
Traditional Aes Sedai methodEdit
Healing is typically performed by, and is the speciality of, the Yellow Ajah. The traditional Aes Sedai method of Healing using Water, Air, and Spirit eliminates all physical ailments, using the patient's energy reserves for the healing. Small wounds and scars will instantly vanish, while larger wounds will close and heal as if they had healed naturally, but do so in mere seconds.
There are drawbacks to this method of Healing, known to all those who practice it. Lost appendages cannot be replaced, and truly grievous wounds will leave a visible scar. The Healing draws energy from the body of the subject, therefore the shock to the weakened system may also kill the patient if they were near death to begin with. For most of the healers whit this method it is also not possible to Heal a specific area of the body (but some very good healers in the Yellow Ajah as Suana and Samitsu can accomplish this); Healing must be done to the entire body at once, but it is possible to vary the overall strength of the Healing.
Once a patient has been Healed in this manner, their energy reserves must be replenished. For more serious injuries, this can lead to the patient being ravenously hungry and unable to stand under their own power for several days.
Only recently the Aes Sedai discovered with astonishment that this method could be considered quite rough and primitive (see below about new and old methods).
The traditional Aes Sedai method of Healing is accompanied by a great chill rippling through the body; instead when the Healing is performed by a man it is accompanied by a great wave of heat.
Traditionally the Aes Sedai use the Delving weave before performing the healing as a way to look for injuries and illnesses in a body.
A different method of Healing, very similar to that used in the Age of Legends, has been discovered by Nynaeve al'Meara and independently by Damer Flinn, and Sumeko Karistovan of the Kin; it uses a much more complex weave utilizing all five elements. Confronted to the traditional Aes Sedai method this is by far more effective and avoids most of the negative side effects of the former.
This method of Healing is thought to be a rediscovery of how Healing was done in the Age of Legends because of references made by a number of the Forsaken, alluding to how the use of Healing most popular to current Aes Sedai is the sort of Healing used as first aid "in the midst of battle," and is actually quite crude.
Nynaeve and Flinn (again independently) also discovered a weave that can Heal even severing, something not thought possible even in the Age of Legends.
Nynaeve has recently discovered a method of healing madness in the male channelers. Rand al'Thor comments that even during the Age of Legends that healing troubles of the mind was rarely accomplished due to the complexity.
People possessing the TalentEdit
- All Yellow Ajah
- Alanna Mosvani, she demonstrated some talent Healing Rand after the Battle of Dumai's Wells
- Anaiya Carel, she demonstrated some talent trying to Heal Verin Mathwin after a misfortuned adventure in Tel'aran'rhiod
- Antail, he is a good Healer among the Asha'man, inventor of a weave that devitalizes exhausted people
- Asra Zigane, despite her weakness she is a very talented Healer
- Cadsuane Melaidhrin, she demonstrated some talent Healing Rand and Nynaeve after the cleansing of saidin
- Chesmal Emry, considered a very good Healer, she used her talent also to kill people without leaving a track
- Corele Hovian, she is considered among the best Aes Sedai Healers
- Dagdara Finchey, she is among the best Aes Sedai Healers
- Damer Flinn, he is the best Healer among the male channellers, rivalling Nynaeve's talent
- Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan, she demonstrated some talent Healing Moiraine Damodred during her training as Accepted
- Gabrelle Brawley, she demonstrated some talent Healing Logain Ablar during the Last Battle
- Joline Maza, she demonstrated some talent in Hinderstap
- Masuri Sokawa, she is quite good in the traditional Aes Sedai method of Healing, she is also good in the weave that removes weariness
- Merilille Ceandevin, she Healed Windfinders in the Kin's Farm
- Moiraine Damodred, she demonstrated her talent many times
- Myrelle Berengari, she is described with a little talent in Healing, but no more than Siuan Sanche
- Nyneave al' Meara, she is one of the most talented Healers of the current era
- Pevara Tazanovni, she demonstrated some talent many times
- Samitsu Tamagowa, she was considered the best Aes Sedai Healer until the arrival of Nynaeve
- Semirhage, in the Age of Legends she was among the best healers but used hers skills also to inflict pain for her pleasure; she was even able to remove Compulsion from Elza Penfell's mind
- Seonid Traighan, she demonstrated her talent Healing a badly wounded Aiel tortured by Perrin Aybara
- Sharina Melloy, she demonstrated a great talent in the new weaves introduced by Nynaeve
- Siuan Sanche, she demonstrated some talent many times
- Suana Dragand, the Yellow Ajah Head is in the first rank in the Talent of Healing. Her abilities were so great that no sister, not even those much stronger than her, could do better, with the possible exception of Samitsu. But this was before the arrival of Nynaeve
- Sumeko Karistovan, she is the best Healer among the Kinswomen, rivalling Nynaeve
- Teslyn Baradon, she demonstrated her talent Healing a badly wounded Egeanin
- Vandene Namelle, she demonstrated some talent Healing Moiraine in Tifan's Well
- Verin Mathwin, she demonstrated some talent many times