Structure and functionEdit
Unlike Aes Sedai, whose rank depends primarily, but not exclusively, on strength in saidar, the Kin choose their Knitting Circle based solely on age. The thirteen oldest Kinswomen in Ebou Dar comprise the Circle, which is led by the Eldest.
In order to maintain their secrecy, the Knitting Circle nears fanaticism in enforcing their rules. The women of The Kin lead very long lives as do Aes Sedai, and in many cases even longer than Aes Sedai, making the thirteen of the Knitting Circle some of the oldest women alive. They carefully avoid allowing any member of the Kin to remain active in Ebou Dari society for too long to avoid notice of their longevity.
The discovery of the Kin and the advanced ages of some of them caused consternation and disbelief among the Aes Sedai. It is now known that the Aes Sedai tradition of swearing on the Oath Rod is the cause of their comparatively short lifespans.
Elayne, Nynaeve, Aviendha, and Birgitte ask the Knitting Circle to help them locate the Bowl of the Winds, which will supposedly counteract the Dark One's touch on the world, reverting the seasons back to normal conditions. The Kinswomen agree.
Members of the Knitting Circle with their strength level and in order by age (when known). Also includes the reasons for being put out of the Tower (are indicated also those below the minimum level to test for Aes Sedai 45(33)).
- Reanne Corly (former Eldest, deceased) 14(2) 412 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Sumeko (Wise Woman, Eldest) 18(6) 402 (panicked during her test for Aes Sedai)
- Sibella (Wise Woman) 22(10) 387 (failed her test for Aes Sedai)
- Ieine (Wise Woman) 31(19) 371 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Chilares 37(25) 343 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Famelle (Wise Woman) 38(26) 342 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Ivara 39(27) 336 (refused to take her test for Accepted three times)
- Eldase 41(29) 335 (put out for having an intractable temper)
- Dimana 46(34) 323 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Kirstian Chalwin (now a Novice) 14(2) 320 (ran away)
- Tamarla (Wise Woman) 47(35) 304 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Janira (Wise Woman, age unknown, deceased ACOS 38) (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Melore (Wise Woman, age unknown, deceased ACOS 38)