|<<< Matters of Toh >>>|
|Setting: Cairhien (city), Caemlyn, Sun Palace, Royal Palace of Andor|
Point of view: Rand al'Thor
Rand dreams of sho-wings and jo-cars. When he wakes he realizes that it was Lews Therin's dreams, which is the first time that has happened to him. As he leaves his sleeping chamber, he encounters a large crowd which includes Aviendha and a Wise One delegation. Various nobles are also waiting. Rand is about to leave for Caemlyn when Berelain reminds him his orders for Mangin to hang today are ready to be carried out. He announces that he does not intend to watch each murderer hang and heads to the Traveling room with the crowd following in his wake.
Back in Caemlyn Rand decides that two Aiel guards are enough. Aviendha goes with him to his room where they talk for a while. She tells him that the Wise Ones have been having Dreams about him:
- Rand on a boat with three women whose faces they could not see, and a scale teetering back and forth
- A man standing by Rand's side with a dagger to his throat, but Rand doesn't see him
- Rand cutting the wetlands in two with a sword
- Rain that comes from a bowl, but there are snares and pitfalls around it. If the right hands pick up the bowl, they will find a treasure perhaps as great as the bowl. But if the wrong hands pick it up, the world is doomed. The key to finding the bowl is to find the one who is no longer.
Rand is sure the second Dream is a Gray Man and he thinks the the third means the turmoil he has caused in the wetlands. Aviendha is not so sure. Eventually she leaves.
Point of view: Aviendha
Outside Rand's room Aviendha remembers the obligation, toh, she has because of the time she Traveled to Seanchan. She has toh to Rand because he saved her life. She has toh to Elayne because she slept with Rand. To fulfill her toh to Elayne, she must kill Rand. To fulfill her toh to Rand, she must kill herself. They are mutually incompatible.
- Fionnda Annariz
- Bari (servant)
- Lews Therin in Rand's head
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found