— Elayne to Egwene
|<<< Fires in Cairhien >>>|
|Setting: River Erinin aboard the Blue Crane, Cairhien|
Point of view: Egwene al'Vere
Egwene has not seen a living person in any of the villages they passed, most of which were burned. The sailors bow to her, seeing her ring. Captain Chin Ellisor is honored to have three Aes Sedai on his ship. Egwene has had several dreams of Perrin, Rand, and Mat, and one of Min.
- Rand holding a sword that blazed like the sun
- Rand threatened in a dozen ways, none of them the least bit real
- Perrin with a wolf, a falcon, and a hawk, with the falcon and hawk fighting
- Perrin running from someone deadly
- Perrin stepping over the edge of a towering cliff
- An Aiel, something to do with Perrin, too
- Min springing a trap but not getting caught
- Mat with spinning dice around him
- Mat being followed by a man that wasn't there
- Mat riding desperately toward something unseen in the distance
- Mat with a woman who seemed to be tossing fireworks, an Illuminator
- Men and women breaking out of a cage and putting on crowns
- A woman playing with puppets with strings to greater puppets
- Kings dying, queens weeping, battles raging
- Whitecloaks ravaging the Two Rivers
- Her mother and father
Elayne says she hopes Mat is not showing around the paper they gave him. Egwene says they can’t worry about Mat, they have to figure out how to get into the Stone of Tear. Elayne is thinking of the fighting they hear of as though she were the queen. Egwene says a greyman is after Mat, and that is what her one of her dreams about him meant. The ship suddenly stops throwing them to the ground. Nynaeve joins Egwene and Elayne on deck and surveys the status of the ship. Nynaeve says they hit a sunken ship, and are stuck. The captain says a different ship should be there soon to get them but it might take longer. Nynaeve says they can just walk to Jurene, the next town. Chin Ellisor tries to talk them out of walking on the Cairhien side, but it is much shorter to the next town. They are walking along the riverside when a figure in brown and grey steps out from the bushes in front of them.
- Bran al'Vere as father
- Marin al'Vere as mother
- Siuan as Amyrlin
- Bennae Nalsad
- ↑ Mat coming to rescue Nynaeve, Egwene, and Elayne in Tear.
- ↑ Sammael assumed the identity of Lord Brend in Illian.
- ↑ Be'lal assumed the identity of High Lord Samon in Tear.
- ↑ Rahvin assumed the identity of Lord Gaebril in Andor.
- ↑ Semirhage assumed the identity of Anath Dorje, Truthspeaker of the Seanchan Daughter of the Nine Moons.
- ↑ Mesaana assumed the identity of Danelle Sedai in the White Tower.
- ↑ Graendal assumed the identity of Lady Basene in Arad Doman.
- ↑ Demandred assumed the identity of Bao the Wyld, leader of the nation of Shara.